Wednesday 8 February 2012

Day 20 - How easy it is to use Gonal-f

This is my 5th day of Gonal-f injections, and I think I'm getting pretty good at it! My hand does get a bit shaky to begin with, but once it's in, it's all good. So far, no skin irritations, no bleeding. I did have a bit of a mishap this morning where I couldn't remove the needle from the pen, but otherwise no dramas.

Today I've added some pictures of my prepared shoot-up area, with a description of the whole procedure below.

Preparing the injection site
My nurse recommended that I inject after I have a shower, because I'm already nice and clean, otherwise I would have to swab my stomach etc. But I just wash any lotions from my hands, throw on my bath robe and I head out to the Shoot-Up Area.

Preparing the Shoot-Up Area
I've chosen the bench next to the kitchen to be my Shoot-Up Area. It's close to the fridge where you should be keeping your injection pen. I keep my roll of paper towel and sharps disposal unit on there, and give the bench a quick spray and wipe down before I start. I lay down some paper towel and grab the kit from the fridge.
The prepared Shoot-Up Area with all the necessary bits

Preparing the Gonal-f Pen
My kit has a whole bunch of screw-on needles that come in little sealed packs. Once I remove the lid on the pen, I peel off the seal on the needle pack and screw it on to the end of the pen. There's a small window that indicates the dosage amount. I dial the end of the pen and stop when it reaches 150. Check there's no air bubbles. Then I'm good to go!
The prepared Gonal-f Pen with needle

Get down to business
OK, usually I inject below my belly button and to the side, where there's plenty of fat. And I will alternate sides every day. I grab a nice chunk of fat between my thumb and forefinger and insert the needle at a 90° angle. Once it's in, I let go of the fat, let it rest in there for a little bit, and then press down on the button at the end of the pen. Hold it down for 10 seconds, then remove the needle. Easy!

Needle Disposal
I screw the outer cap back on to lock it on to needle, then unscrew the whole thing and toss it into the yellow sharps container. Done! Then I pack everything up ready for the next day.

I've found the whole "injecting myself" thing deceptively easy. Almost too easy. Thank God SOMEONE put a lot of thought into it, because you can't really screw it up. I hope the close up of the needle doesn't freak you out, but it really isn't as scary as I thought it would be. I can hardly feel it.

Good luck if you're trying this for the first time!






3 comments:

  1. I'm about to start this tomorrow. Providing all goes well at the hospital. You make it sound very easy. I found reading this very reassuring :-) thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, good luck with everything. It really isn't so bad once you start doing it. I think everything leading up to it is the scariest part, but once the process is started, it's that one step closer to getting to where you want to be. All the best.

      Delete
  2. This article is very informative. Yes, its true to throw the needles properly and place it only to the sharp containers and nothing more. If it's not disposed properly it may injure people and spread infections that cause serious health conditions. The most common infections are Hepatitis B (HBV), Hepatitis C (HCV) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).

    ReplyDelete